on the arts, humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.
16 – Bridges Hall of Music (1915)
150 East Fourth Street (East of College Avenue)
This concert hall, designed by Pasadena architect Myron Hunt, was a gift of Mr. and Mrs. Appleton Bridges of San Diego, whose daughter died in 1907, a year before her graduation from Pomona College. Hunt chose a style that included classical elements in a Roman Basilica exterior and an interior noted for its beautifully painted wood-beamed ceiling reflective of the Mexican heritage of this area. Hunt went on to lay out the plan for the Pomona College campus.
450 N. College Way
This Art Deco concert hall, called “Big Bridges” to distinguish it from Bridges Hall of Music, was a second gift from the family of Mabel Shaw Bridges. For many years it was the largest concert hall east of Los Angeles, seating 2,500. It is the eastern anchor of Marston Quadrangle, one of the beautifully landscaped green spaces that mark all of the Claremont Colleges. This auditorium is shared by all the Colleges and is used for some theatrical productions, graduations, and concerts. Phone (909)621-8032.